If you ever have a hankering for dark chocolate espresso anything, this is a terrific recipe which I converted into a gluten-free version. The original recipe is by fellow homegrown Iowan chocolatiers, The Mast Brothers, whose cookbook is a go-to for my anything-containing-chocolate recipe. What I did differently was substitute in gluten-free flour, added a touch more chopped chocolate, and mixed in espresso powder, which I've heard gives it a touch more richness. Also, instead of using their homemade ganache, I deployed Dave's Homemade Chocolate Malted Fudge Sauce, which can be found at The Hatchery (my new Discovery Channel!). I could eat that sauce straight, all day long. If you are a full on gluten-loving, ganache-inhaling maniac, then check out the original recipe in their cookbook found here. Either way, it's an awesome experience. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup Gluten-Free Flour (I used Cup-4-Cup, great for baking)
- 1 stick Butter
- 3 oz Dark Chocolate, diced small
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Dave's Homemade Chocolate Malted Fudge Sauce, or frosting of your choice
- preheat oven to 350° and line a cupcake baking pan with paper liners.
- melt chopped chocolate + butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat
- once melted, add gluten free flour, eggs, sugar, cocoa & espresso powders, baking soda & powders. mix well, then add heavy cream.
- carefully pour into paper cups, filling each one about halfway.
- bake about 15 minutes, then let cool a few minutes and frost.