the egg stands out as unequivocally the most beloved basic in my culinary repertoire. it's an entree, a supplement, a side, or a snack. it's wholly nutritional, and satisfies my protein cravings 98% of the time (the other 2% reserved for In-N-Out, naturally). best of all, the simplicity of the egg lends also to its diversity. it can be incorporated into a 1,001 dishes. whether it's a simple morning scramble laced with fresh greens + salsa, or gushing over a wood-fired guanciale pizza; they provide a warm, comforting, sometimes surprising element to any meal, anytime.
playing around in the kitchen this morning, as I procure an old-fashioned sunny-side up, along with some colorful fingerling potatoes + fresh rosemary for roasting...
cracking the perfect sunny-side up egg has long been a challenge for me. Everyone has their own style that works for them beautifully. As a culinary amateur, all I really have to report is that it just takes practice, don't take it personally. I find that it helps if the weight is shifted to the bottom of the egg as a few light taps are given on the top, it lessens the odds of piercing the yolk.
roasting the fingerlings:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- toss the potatoes in a bit of olive oil, fresh rosemary, cracked pepper, and a pinch of sea salt;
- arrange on lightly greased pan + roast in oven for 25 minutes or so, until cooked through (skins will become a nice, golden brown).
and when the feet are barking, i occasionally embark on a quest for the egg outside of my kitchen. suffice to say, there is no shortage of outstanding egg preparations all over southern california menus. here are a few of my favorites, hatched by some of our local haunts:
- baked eggs with white beans + prosciutto sofrito ~ The Larder at Tavern
- smoked bacon + egg crepe, with cilantro & béchamel ~ Blue Daisy Cafe
- fried egg sandwich, with arugula, gruyére + Niman Ranch bacon ~ Huckleberry Cafe
- egg, bacon, Yukon gold potato pizza ~ Pizzeria Mozza
- Niman Ranch burger with fried farm egg & confit bacon ~ Rustic Canyon Wine Bar + Seasonal Kitchen
hope you find these recommendations as magical as I do.