The blueberries are outstanding this season, and we can't get enough of them. So, with the holiday weekend imminent + an abundance of soirées on the register, it seemed only appropriate to work these succulent blue gems into some simple cocktails. It's a great way to add a little blush + sweetness to your holiday "mixy", as we like to call them around here, and works with most berry varieties. This festive concoction is especially great if you don't like the store-bought syrups or flavored licqueurs, you are a maniac for homespun mixtures, or you just prefer to dial down the sweetness to a reasonable level. And, although the recipe calls for vodka, this can also make for a refreshing, summertime soda without it. Enjoy + have a safe, happy Independence Day, everyone!
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus extra for garnish
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar, plus extra for glass rim
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz vodka
- 5 oz soda water
- in a saucepan over medium-low heat, add blueberries, sugar, water + lemon juice. let simmer + stir now and again until a nice syrup forms (a few minutes). remove from heat. pour syrup through mesh sieve, gently pressing blueberries with the back of a spoon to push juice through. let cool completely or refrigerate and save for later.
- in a rocks glass, add ice, 1 oz vodka, + 5 oz soda water. slowly drizzle desired amount of blueberry syrup into glass (we did about 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp). it's homemade, so the syrup may not be as elegant falling as store-bought syrup, but that's why we like it!
- garnish with fresh blueberries.
- *optional: if you'd like a little extra sweetness to the drink, spread the additional sugar onto a small plate. wet the rim of a glass + dip onto plate coating the rim before proceeding with the above steps.